Monday, October 8, 2012

Should I list all of my positions on a resume?

Answer: You should list all of your relevant positions on your resume.

Your problem: You have a lot of experience. Hey, I do too! And that's great. But, you don't want to fill up your resume just for the sake of filling it up either. If you're concerned about having job gaps I would recommend putting the company and job title on the resume, and just leaving out any bullet points.

This free stock photo was aptly named "hand over keyboard." Deep.

Example of what to do with too many job positions to put on a resume:


That One Job LLC
Marketing Manager
2008-2012
  • Look at the awesome things I did!
  • Yay me!
  • Accomplishments all around!
That other job you don't want INC
Customer Service Representative
2006-2008

That other awesome job
 Marketing Assistant
2002-2006
  • Awesome relevant information!
  • Look at these great stats of mine. I was great.
  • Etc. Etc.



Obviously this would be better in effect on a longer resume, but you get the gist of what I'm saying, right? This way your resume isn't running onto three pages (please, never... unless you're applying to an executive or government position but those are out of my ballpark).

As a side note, make sure that all of your bullet points are relevant to the position you are applying for as well and list your accomplishments. You are awesome and you want to show the company you're applying for that you're awesome, not that you "greeted customers in a friendly manner," or in other words, "did my job."

How do you deal with too many job experiences?


1 comment:

  1. Essay writing is an academic activity that aims to hone students’ writing skills. With its complex process, writing essays enables the writer to explore a topic in depth. See more here academic research project

    ReplyDelete